A Romanesque Church
The small Church of S. Miguel is, according to Manuel Monteiro, «clearly a typic Romanesque construction considering its core, the door design, cornices and cantilevers».
It is a small temple in crude local granite, without great decorative finery, of rectangular layout, with only one nave, the apse is also rectangular, there are no stonemason marks and the ceiling is made out of wood. The design is similar to many other churches of the time.
The crossing’s arch isn’t the original one for it was replaced in 1795. During the restoration held between 1874 and 1880, the arch mas demolished and a new one was built trying to replicate the medieval arch. According to Manuel Monteiro, although the care in this restoration, the crossing’s arch should have been made after the one of the main door, therefore with a pointed arch.
The church has three doors: the main door and two on each of the sides.
The illumination inside is granted through six narrow gasps: one, in the apse; another, above the main door; and two in each of the lateral walls.
The building has no columns nor adorned chapiters, the tympana are plain and the cornices are simple.
Inside the monument, one may still see ten of the twelve crosses that were used to consecrate a church.
In the past, the church had a retable in the apse and two althars in the nave on the crossing’s arch.
The apse’s retable was kept during the 1874-1888 works but, in the 1938-1940 ones, it was removed and replaced by an stone altar.
In the exterior west nave’s wall, there are two embedded arcosolia. It is believed that they are the resting place of the chantre Martim Pais (who passed away in January 5, 1223) and of the prosecutor João Anes Enxate.
It is believed that around the church there was a porch.
In the course of centuries, the Church of S. Miguel was a burial ground. This is clearly noted due to the considerable set of tomb lids inside the church and, formerly, outside.